Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Last class

Today was the last of this series of art classes. What a dud! While she was telling us that new classes were starting next week, we were working on the worst project yet. (I did not take pictures, sorry.)

Today we took old broken crayons and crushed them with a rolling pin. A great deal of adult strength was required to accomplish this. Then the children took the pieces and sprinkled them on a piece of wax paper. The adult then carried the wax paper to an alternate work space where they placed another piece of wax paper on top of it, sandwiched it between two piece of newspaper and then ironed it. This melted the crayons. The results are quite attractive but the lesson fell flat with the children. Once the crayon breaking was done and the crayon bits were sprinkled the children had no interest in the project. After one Leah said, "Okay, all done!"

I definitely would have added another piece to this. The paper is quite attractive when held up against the window. Why not take advantage of that and create a stained glass look from the melted crayon paper? Using a folded piece of black construction paper, the children could have cut into the paper removing bits and pieces of the black paper. I know, most two year-olds are not very good with scissors but why not help develop cutting skills while making this a more complete lesson. When some holes have been cut into the black paper, open it up. Tape or glue
(tape would work better) the melted crayon paper to the black paper. The results would be a stained glass window effect that could be hung in the windows of the child's room or some other window in the home.

The day wasn't a total loss though as Leah and I made a day of it. First, I took her to the school where I used to teach art and visited with my friend Gail. The children were thrilled to have a little visitor and I think Leah enjoyed her first glimpse of a big school. Then we had lunch at IHOP and went shopping for an Easter bonnet. Of course, we also bought a pocketbook and just for fun a dance costume. Life is good.

While I was writing about shopping, I came up with another way to create the stained glass look.
I want to make one first so I will write about it tomorrow. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment